Michael Gavito knows the tactics and strategies of defense lawyers from the inside, having spent his early career working for Texas defense law firms litigating, among other types of cases, construction defect claims made by a variety of Texas businesses and civic entities. Now representing property owners, both public and private, Mr. Gavito uses his experience to anticipate defense strategies and minimize or defeat their efforts to delay, deny or otherwise deprive his clients of full and fair compensation.
Mr. Gavito has earned multimillion-dollar recoveries for a range of business and public-sector clients, recovering damages based on construction defect claims against contractors, designers and engineers. He has the expertise to prosecute defect claims relating to:
- Exterior Wall Envelope
- Plumbing Systems
- Electrical Systems
- AIA Form Agreements
His public-sector clients include school districts; public hospitals; and state, county and municipal governments. His work on behalf of private-sector clients includes disputes involving hospitals and medical buildings, low- and high-rise buildings, apartments, homeowners’ associations, condominium boards and retirement communities.
- Texas and Oklahoma state courts
- U.S. District courts for the Southern and Western districts of Texas
- Recent Legislation Affecting the Government’s Rights: New Procedures and Laws Affecting Construction Defect Claims, co-instructor. CLE Course 2019.
- Construction Law Section CLE Luncheon, San Antonio Bar Association: Chapter 150 of the Civil Practice & Remedies Code: The Protections and Pitfalls, contributing author.
- The Top Eight Pitfalls of Hospital Construction, co-instructor. CLE Course.
- What I had to Learn (and What I Wish I’d Been Taught), panelist. 21st Annual Insurance Law Institute, 2016.
- Claims against Architects/Engineers: Practical Considerations for Plaintiff’s Counsel, speaker. 28th Annual Construction Law Conference.
- BA: University of Texas, San Antonio
- JD: St. Mary’s University School of Law